And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

That's 'Captain' To You!

In celebration of the impending release of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Captain Mei Ling:


Players who ran through Metal Gear Solid would remember those little bits of wisdom Mei Ling would spout off whenever you saved your game. It took me a long, long while, but I think I finally got most of them down.

"You must cross the river before you tell the crocodile he has bad breath."
"Nought's had, all's spent, where our desire is got without content."
"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."
"Friendly counsel cuts off many foes."
"If there are more wolves, the people are eaten; if there are more people, the wolves are eaten."
"The cautious seldom err."
"It is better to live ugly than die beautiful."
"When walking through a melon patch, don't adjust your sandals."
"He who is firm in will molds the world to himself."
"Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return."
"The proud man does not eat rotten meat even when hungry, nor steal water from another's well when he thirsts."
"Once the fox gets his nose in, he'll soon find a way to make his body follow."
"It is the strong swimmer who most often drowns."
"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, old time is still aflying, this same flower, that smiles today, tomorrow will be dying."
"Rashness brings success to few, misfortune to many."
"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly."
"Win in any way you can. Nice guys finish last."
"I'll fight, till from my bones my flesh be hack'd, give me my armour."
"War he sung, is toil and trouble; honour but an empty bubble."
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men."
"The mind cannot be in two places at once."
"Oh, it is excellent to have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant."
"The tongues of dying men enforce attention, like deep harmony."
"The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions."
"Wise men ne'er sit and wail their loss, But cheerily seek how to redress their harms."
"Come, what come may, time and the hour runs through the roughest day."

No comments: