And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

From Crime Library: Deborah Gardner

The Case.

I occasionally browse through the Crime Library, read up on some articles and cases. It helps me put things in perspective somehow, and reminds me that the world isn't as pretty as tourist ads would like to present them to be. There are some ugly things out there, but reading through it, this one case struck me the most.

Not because it was the most heinous. Not because it was the most compelling mystery. Not because it remains unsolved -- though, technically, it does. I find it compelling because the Peace Corp and the US government let a man get away with murder, all because of the potential damage to the organization's reputation.

This is a clear and present travesty of justice, but I guess I should expect nothing less of the US. Her killer deserves to be punished, and justice needs to be done. This whole thing is just...there's no real way to describe it. I mean...all the evidence points at him, the victim even managed to mention him by name before dying, and the Peace Corp and the US government orchestrates his being allowed to get away scot-free?

If I were in charge, that man would be hanged by the neck until dead.

There is no justice in the world. None at all.

No comments: