And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So, Who's Hiring?

It is time to move on, methinks. After about two years or so with this job, I feel it is about damn time I moved on and found a better job. Or at least one that isn't so...annoying. Not that I'm unemployed just yet, merely seriously considering other offers. Frankly, there's not a whole lot of incentive left for me to stay where I am, and a slowly increasing number of reasons to get the Hell off this ship.

With that in mind, I can only wonder who'd be willing to hire a writer-editor with almost three years of experience in the field?

I have been told many times that I am good at what I do, particularly when properly motivated. I'm enough of a grammar Nazi to make sure things are done right, but not to the point that makes the writing too correct to be read. Yes, folks, there is such a thing as being too grammatically correct that the average person finds your work unreadable.

My blog has been online for years now, and it largely serves as a working records of my writing style when I'm being informal. As for more formal things, like articles and such, I can provide samples when asked. I could probably whip one up if given a topic and material to research and verify facts with. Admittedly, I rarely ever edit my own blog, as the content of it is rather raw and needs polish in every respect. Still, for what is essentially spur-of-the-moment writing, it isn't completely unreadable.

Despite my habit of openly questioning policies and changes to quota, I am undeniably reliable in producing what is required of me. I've never been absent, as far as I recall, have only been late once --- and only then due to a technicality --- and I maintain a strict policy of not calling in sick if I can still walk and type. For those who don't quite see what I'm getting at, it means I'm always around to actually get the job done. Mark my words, barring truly unreasonable demands, I do get the job done. I have yet to be remiss in my daily quota of written material without extenuating circumstances.

I also have experience in the field. I've written blog posts, promo ads designed for SEO projects, web content articles, and even a few press releases. Though, admittedly, I think I should discount that last one due to the odd nature of the assignment. In any case, I've been at this for three years, and know a thing or two about what is needed if the writing is SEO support. I've written for both formal and informal media, along with my own personal projects.

I don't really do social networking, so feel free to ban YouTube, Multiply, Friendster, and the like in the office. Even if you don't, I'm just as likely to find a way to block them on my own as I am to grudgingly visit them. No accounts on any of them except YouTube, either, and I only really use that to have a playlist handy for whenever I feel like it. Just don't take away USB ports, Google Mail, or Google itself.

Anyway, that's enough self-advertising. Time to get some work done, and then spend the next few hours finding a better employer.

No comments: