And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Coffee Culture Confused

We seem to be living in a semi-global culture obsessed with coffee. If nothing else, the prevalence of Starbucks and Seattle's Best stores exemplifies that. These places, along with smaller and more "little guy" establishments often serve a myriad of concoctions and mixes and modifications. And, for some reason I do not understand, people are willing to pay the most exorbitant of prices for them. I just don't get it. I mean, it's just coffee.

Between the fact that it's nothing more than coffee with a lot of bells and whistles, and that they're insanely expensive for what they are, I don't understand the obsession. I mean, for the prices they charge for a single glass (or whatever they call it) of their stuff, I could get myself a decent meal somewhere. Frankly, I'd much rather have a decent meal than excellent coffee - much more long-term benefit out of the former for me. Or for anyone with even the slightest modicum of sense, really.

I see nothing special about it. Mind you, I'm not one of those detractors that has never even tried the stuff. I'll admit that, once upon a really bored time, I tried a couple of Starbucks mixes. They were good, but not really all that special. One of them tasted a little too much like liquefied, brownie-like ice cream. The other was just coffee, cooled to a nice, icy state and maybe a little sweeter than normal. Nothing that the average creative (or bored) person can do at home with the right stuff available.

I just honestly don't get the point. I mean, it's fancy coffee, but in the end, it's just coffee. I mean, it's not even a long-term investment, like the purchase of a sourcebook for a pen and paper RPG you play, or that new Magic: the Gathering card that fits perfectly into your deck. It's just coffee.

5 comments:

Cough Syrup Junkie said...

people pay for the label of the coffee and since it is expensive, it gives them the false impression that they are cool.

me said...

starbucks is so overrated. the people who love going there are, too.

i've tried starbucks. and believe me, i make a meaner coffee. so pay me instead.

digitalburyong said...

true - - naalala ko tuloy nung inatake ako sa intelligraph na halos gumagapang na ko sa tapat ng elevator - - dahil yun sa kape! buti na lang bawal na sakin ngaun. starbucks, people think, is a status symbol - - kaya maraming yumayaman sa kape e.

Anonymous said...

I think it's the same...what's with Magic Cards? They're just cards, but some of them are really expensive. And mind you, some people get obsessed, too.

Cough Syrup Junkie said...

@richard: haha! naaalala ko yung moment mo dun sa lobby na sabi mo di ka makahinga. coffee pala may gawa nun. :D