And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stupid Jokes Are Stupid

Some might argue that I have no sense of humor. Indeed, at one point or another, I even considered the possibility myself. But I also find some things funny, which means I do have a sense of humor. Then it came to me. I realized that many of the jokes that people around me laugh at come across as annoying or stupid to me. Which then made me wonder.

Why do I find so many popular jokes stupid?

Mind you, I get why they're supposed to be funny. However, there's a difference between actually finding something funny and knowing why said something is funny. Parody songs, toilet humor, cross-dressing, weird and annoying impersonations of popular children's characters by grown men who have no business doing so, and other things that make people around me laugh just make me groan inwardly and wish they'd shut up. I know why they're supposed to be funny, but I can't, for the life of me, bring myself to laugh.

Is that really so odd?

1 comment:

me said...

i kind of understand what you mean. i don't like slapstick jokes either and other things that are supposed to be funny but are actually not. i also get them.. i just don't find them, well, amusing.

maybe we both just have a sick sense of humor?