And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year, Old Interest



A few years ago, I watched this relaxing anime about the life of girls in a Catholic high school. It was very serene, largely lacking in antagonism or drama, and described by many I've encountered as rather dull. Still, I watched it and fell in love with it.

There's just something very lovable about it. There's conflict, but it's very mundane compared to most. Everyday, one might say. Nothing here happens that can't happen in real life, which is pretty much a good thing, considering the setting is very realistic in itself. The cast is solid and easy to find yourself becoming attached to en masse, yet picking a favorite isn't hard.

There's a certain air of calm and warmth to the show, something that makes it hard not to appreciate it once you get into the subtle drama and inter-character politics of it. The show isn't for everyone, and is definitely not for people who are looking for fast-paced excitement or flashy fights.

Anyway. Now I hear there's a new season coming up, and I just had to spend my free time watching the previous seasons. I needed to catch-up, and the show is definitely better on the second viewing than the first. Now I'm eagerly awaiting how they handle events after the 3rd season, and whether or not Touko and Yumi's interactions would be adequate replacement for the wonder of Yumi and Sachiko's interactions.

So now I sit and wait for the new season to start airing and get subbed.

Until then, enjoy some warmth and calm from Yumi and Sachiko.

1 comment:

Cough Syrup Junkie said...

happy new year, harvey:)