And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Adjusting To New Surroundings

I...am a creature that does not particularly like change. So all the recent changes are rather unnerving to me. New office and new home, largely. This has all been a bit of an adjustment, and frankly, I'm not too fond of having to change so much in so short a time span. Still, persistence manages somehow.

So, what's the new home like? Well, it is quite different, that's for sure. The place has another floor to it, but it is also much smaller in terms of sheer leg room. How much smaller? More than 75% of the floor area of my new room is occupied by my bed. That is a very small room. I suppose that isn't so bad, all things considered.

Lots of things to acclimate to, lots of things to allow to sink into my mind. And, naturally, lots of angles, loopholes, and exploits that I have to discover along the way. Not to mention appropriate adjustments to my previous patterns. Honestly, I look forward to no longer having to wake up early on the weekends just to get Internet access before my brother hogs it all for himself, the greedy little bastard spawn.

I really ought to tell what I know of the story that led up to me having to move to a new house, and I intend to do that sooner or later. Probably sooner. Until then, I guess I just need to make the right adjustments.

Otherwise, I may end up sane. Bad, bad thing.

No comments: