And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Sucker For Drama


I can't help myself. I'm a sucker for shows with drama, even if the plot is barely existent.

And there's no better source of drama than Marimite.

I realize it is...unusual. This is, for all intents and purposes, a girl's show. The cast is all female, it doesn't play up on flashing skin or skimpy outfits, and focuses entirely on their mundane, everyday lives and interactions. In other words, the show is essentially boring in concept. Yet, in execution, the show is nothing short of heart-warming and wonderful.

By all rights, I should find the themes and conflicts in the story to be dull. It is really little more than teenagers having the problems that teenagers usually have with each other. Misconceptions, misunderstood motives, personal problems, and other things. There's nothing about what happens that's at all special. Yet, clearly, this show has me hooked rather badly.

There's just...something about this show that I can't describe. Maybe it has to do with the lovely interpersonal drama, or how good the show is at getting you to actually care about the characters. I can't say. All I know is, 9 episodes into the 4th season and I'm still hooked and hoping there's more.

I need to see more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

borrow naman nito dude, hehe :)