And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Author’s Note 1

Author’s Note for Chapter 1, Part 3 (and also covering any previous Chapter 1 Parts)

Wow. It has been a long, long while since I last wrote anything that even neared the halfway point in terms of actual completion. Granted, it isn’t up to what I thought it’d be but for someone who hasn’t been in full form for almost a year and a half, I don’t think it’s that bad.
Plot-wise, I really think this whole thing is a little sparse. There’s hardly anything solid in it and the narrative doesn’t flow as well as it should. I haven’t gotten back my old talent at including generous levels of background detail down to what the place smells like either. Damn it, I’ve got a lot of work to do and I really need to get back in top form. Hopefully, the project after this (once I manage to assemble all the needed background details, that is) will see me back the way I normally am when creating.
Now, the title (Akatsuki) is ‘dawn’ in Japanese. Yes, I did rip it off of the ORB-01 Akatsuki Gundam from Gundam Seed Destiny. I didn’t particularly like that Gundam (or GSD as a whole, for that matter but at least it is infinitely superior to crap like Wing or G) and I really, really dislike Cagalli (I really like Lunamaria and Meyrin more) but there is an in-story reason for the title. That’ll be revealed later on. I also have a personal reason for the title. Namely, I feel like I’ve been in a long creative lull and this, despite all the flaws I’ve seen and others have seen in it, this is a representation to me of my getting out of that lull and firing on all cylinders again. Besides, it was either that or satsujin but I decided to save satsujin for another story later on.
Now, to be honest, the sci-fi and conspiracy elements in this weren’t even supposed ot be here. This was supposed to be one of those straight-laced shojo-ai romances that I’ve always said I’d write with alarming frequency – until I was convinced to play Galerians: Ash and Parasite Eve again, which is to blame for all of the twisted and pseudo-supernatural abilities in this story.
Anyway, that’s my note for the time being. If I have anything to say that’s pertinent to Akatsuki or any future projects I’m considering, this’ll be the place to check out.

No comments: