And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Author's Note 2

This is Author's Note for Chapter 2, Part 3

Minor update, really. Akatsuki is completed at last. While it doesn’t reflect so on Fictionpress, the fact is that it has been turned into a PDF, effectively ending it for me. Will continue to update it on my account at whatever pace I choose to.

To be honest, I don’t really think much of Akatsuki. It is a nice piece and all but it isn’t anything more for me than an exercise in getting my fiction-writing muscles flexed. I needed to get back in the swing of things, so to speak, and I think it did the job. That would essentially explain the haphazard nature of the plot, characters and structure of it, really. Not that it’s an excuse but I have to admit, I wasn’t really focusing on it while I was writing it.

Anyway, in a future post I’ll create a character-by-character analysis of the story. I do that for everything I write but, for reasons I don’t really understand, I never bother to let anyone else see it. I think it best to change that, starting with this piece. And no, this decision is not retroactive.

No comments: