And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, August 14, 2006

First Thoughts: EduNara

First Thoughts: EduNara

Let’s see…

I am sure this isn’t the company for me and not the job for me. Now, I confess I haven’t even started actually working yet but just from the orientation alone, I already have a bad feeling of where this is going. And frankly, I don’t like it. Now, maybe I just need to go through a few days worth of training, get a feel for things and then I might change my mind. Still, I haven’t had this strong a disinclination towards a company ever. That might be due to the fact that Koreans are running this show and not Americans or Filipinos, which means things are different from how I’m used to things. Different captain, different way of running the ship into the ground. Still, there is an air of…something that I don’t like about the place.

Now, I liked my co-workers back in Ambergris. A lot of good people there, though a lot of them have already left the company by this point. And frankly, I have a feeling I won’t like the people at my new job as much. Besides, some of my friends there are incredibly unique and I really enjoyed my time with them. The people I’ve seen here don’t seem to be as easy to get along with as the ones I worked with in the past. Still, you have to get along and you have to learn to make due with who you’re with and what you have. It isn’t a concept that’s entirely alien to me but I’m not about to admit liking the idea. Well, what can I do? I left and frankly, I’m not sorry that I left. I wasn’t fond of the work, the account or the company so I went and left. Not that I disliked the co-workers. As I’ve said, I rather miss them.

Seriously. I’m really not very sure I made the right decision in switching employment to EduNara. My instincts don’t really tell me much most of the time but I guess I’ll give it about a month (which is the training period). Once I see the contract and I have a feel for what the work and the co-workers are like, then we can really get to reconsidering. But as for now, I really am not feeling this new job. Sure, a lot of things there take a bit of getting used to and that’s the case for any job but…well, something just doesn’t feel right. And this isn’t just a case of first day jitters either. I’ve had a bad feeling about this place since the day I walked in and handed in my résumé. And that just tells me that I’m not going to like it there very much.

But at least if I can last long enough to actually buy one of the things on my ‘To Buy’ list, I’ll have gotten something out of the deal.

Now, moving on to a little torture. Good old Akatsuki was originally drastically different story…

The main change was the shift from a weird shojo-ai romance story with both of the main characters having some degree of mental deficiency or a form of mental illness. It wasn’t supposed to have all of those semi-science fiction based powers that they ended up having. The supporting cast also should have had a lot more male characters since Seven Angels wasn’t designed as an all-female school. Now, none of the characters really changed all that much in terms of appearance but Kibagami Hodaka wasn’t supposed to be the almost insane character that she came out as. However, that’s for later. For now, let’s focus on the changes to Seven Angels first, shall we? You know, that isn’t really an option if you’re reading this.

For one thing, the ‘group’ Miho is part of, the Aristocracy, was supposed to just one of many groups of students in Seven Angels and was originally called the House of Dominations. Each House was supposed to have a representative called an Aristocrat and the student council, which consisted of the nine Aristocrats, was intended to be the Aristocracy. As stated, the school was originally intended to have male and female students. There were supposed to be kendo matches that served as bouts of honor between 2 people who had an argument. Now, moving on to changed characters.

First off, Miho and Yuki. The dynamic between these two was to be drastically different from what happened to end up in the story. First off, Yuki was the original body and Miho an alternate personality, Yuki having a mild case of paranoid schizophrenia. Also, Yuki was meant to be straight and pursued Tachibana Kurei, wanting him to be her boyfriend. Miho, however, is an avowed lesbian and her pursuit of Kanako was retained. In the end, Miho won out because Yuki realized that despite her not being real, Miho did have real feelings for Kanako and she backed down, let the other personality take full control.

Kanako changed drastically. She didn’t change appearance-wise but she wasn’t going to be such a morbid artist either. Her original persona was meant to be flamboyant, creative. She was supposed to be an elegant anarchist. Her art was originally meant to reflect a more anti-authority, chaotic view of things. She was more against society and the government, as well as a firm believer of a complex network of conspiracy theories involving the Jewish Banking Cabal, the KGB, the Catholic Church, the US government, OPEC, the Ku Klux Klan, the Global Conspiracy of the Bald and the Free Masons. She sounded deranged but at some point, she was actually going to successfully expose the Japanese cell of the Global Conspiracy of the Bald, of which Celia Foxfire should have been a part of. Yes, that means Celia Foxfire was supposed to be bald and no, she wasn’t supposed to die.

Akira and Fuko weren’t supposed to become major characters. They were supposed to have been dead even before the story started. Tsubame was supposed to have been Yuki’s twin sister who liked to practice kissing and foreplay with her twin. Her girlfriend was supposed to be Kibagami Hodaka, who had a kid sister named Rinka and a kid brother named Koganei who both had an infatuation with Sawamura Kyo, Tsubame’s boyfriend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... I was quite intrigued by your entry since I was looking for some background info on Edunara. I am currently working as a call center supervisor for a US company based in Makati and was planning to make a career move by teaching instead. I came across an ad in jobstreet for English Online Teachers and that's when I began to google Edunara.
Your instinct tells you that there is something weird or not right about them, can you expound on this? I am planning to dropby on Friday and pass my resume. I would appreciate some early warning advice though...

Thanks! --jiggs--

Anonymous said...

^Similar din naman yan with call centers di'ba? They ask you to pretend you're calling from the US and that you're an employee of the American client.

But yeah, i think it's more grave in this situation kasi the Koreans are availing of the teaching services with the knowledge that they have native speakers as their teachers (which is not the case naman talaga). Pretend pa tuloy yung Pinoy teacher na naging exchange student siya and all those "lies".

The HR people there reason out that the teachers have to do that to avoid the "third world discrimination" from the Koreans. Dun ako na-turn off kaya di ko tinuloy application ko sa Edunara.

I mean, where's the Filipino pride? It's an insult both to the Koreans and the Filipinos. I know of similar companies with Korean students who are well aware that they have Filipino English teachers.

It's possible naman eh so why can't they do the same?

Anonymous said...

That's the main reason why i left the company ..its all about integrity.

Anonymous said...

i worked in edunara for about 4 months. i handled a lot of students, most of whom, i really grew fond of; and i resent having to tell lies to them, specially about my roots. i also did a lot of entrance interviews. i don't really think that the koreans mind that much about the nationality of their teacher... what they do mind about is if they are getting quality for their time and money. the top execs of edunara should know this, after all, they are also koreans.