And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Friday, July 13, 2007

Concept: Young, Homicidal Love

I think every writer has a certain set of biases, prejudices towards certain concepts and genres and ideas. For example, prior to her re-assimilation into organized Christian religion, Anne Rice showed an interesting bias towards the macabre and odd, as exemplified by The Vampire Chronicles. Philippine fiction seems proliferated with a bias for realistic novels, the ones set in this day and age and don't deviate from the accepted norm.

What about me, you might ask? Well, I tend to be biased towards concepts more readily found in Japanese animation and, in some instances, in the novels of Haruki Murakami. However, I confess that I've always had a strong bias towards manipulating the concept of romance (along wiht the Japanese manga concept of shoujo) in my writing. I really don't like the nature of reality and prefer to mix in elements derived from whatever I could think of, be it science fiction or fantasy or whatnot.

However, in recent times, I've come to take one particular idea to heart in my recent writing. As exemplified by the primary theory for the Nepalese royal massacre, the right combination of youth, emotions mistaken for love, hormones, and psychological issues can result in eerie but entertaining tales. The Japanese game School Days and, to an extent, Shuffle!, also have elements in their stories that show this is a workable fiction concept. To an extent, the initial concept for my story Yuki's Diary (PDF download, folks) involved something similar.

With YD being the successful piece that it was, considering the environment and the location where it was posted, I think it is high time that I revisited the idea of young, homicidal love. I've got an idea that'll need some tweaking to work, but I think I can get started on the outline and characters while working on Darkness & Stars. Incidentally, that story contains elements of the above concept as well.

Of course, the tweaking process could take a while. Unlike Yuki's Diary, this isn't meant as a way to vent out issues and frustration. Unlike Darkness & Stars, this isn't meant to help me get back into The Game, as well as narrate a story so very dear to my heart (if only because of the source of it). In fact, this new idea might end up becoming symbolic of my selling out even my fiction writing to the Evil Capitalist Empire.

Yes, ladies and gents, this story might end up being written specifically to be published and marketed. So don't expect a lot of my trademark quirks and infamous potentially copyright violating references to pretty much whatever I can think of. Don't expect it to be all that good, either, as writing something of that sort basically involves me constraining myself. I don't do well constraining myself while writing.

No comments: