And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, October 01, 2007

A Little Too Thin...

Running through scenarios and ideas in my head is something of a necessity for me. In the same way that most sharks have to keep swimming or drown, I can't stop writing (in my head, at least) for fear of being rendered unable to do so for an extended period. I realized that the hard way, going into a prolonged state of writer's block after Yuki's Diary (PDF download, mates), although I'm not entirely sure whether to count the production of Akatsuki and the period after that as part of the slump. However, there is a slight, slight problem with this system.

I'm afraid that I'm spreading my mind a little too thin.

I have to write for work. It isn't as easy as it sounds, mind you. There's a lot of pressure to work on things and the fact that the limited number of categories I can play around in makes it harder and harder to write about it. I don't know how far off that time is, but I'm worried that time will come when I'll have squeezed my head dry of every idea I can come up with for the nature and limitations of the job, much like a similar time back in Intellicrap. Yes, I know I was supposed to eventually come around to detailing how that happened, but I can't be bothered to do so right now, as it would screw up my already screwed-up timetable.

Besides work, there's the VIII of Swords (you know, what you're reading right now) and Kanaverse blogs. These two little beauties pose an entirely different challenge for me. I can write whatever I damn well want, whenever I damn well want, however I damn well want. In theory. There are certain people that are aware of how to find my blog and I'd rather not give said people a clear reason to despise me more than they already do. And no, I'm not talking about Panda-man from Intellicrap. No, the individual I speak of now is someone more recent, but no less despicable. Aside from that, I find that blog maintenance has been difficult for me lately. I simply feel like I've got very few ideas worth writing into this specific blog. As for good old Kanaverse, I have far too many ideas. Too many possible stories and ways to go about them. It overwhelms me because I honestly have difficulty focusing on any one project long enough to get a working story out of it. Even vignettes are becoming more and more elusive to me.

Maybe I'm just trying to write too many things at once? Of course, if that's the case, the expedient solution would be to drop one aspect of my current writing system. The problem lies in what can be dropped. I can't drop what I do for a living, for obvious reasons. I don't want to drop either of my blogs, although letting Kanaverse sit still for a bit seems like a sensible move for the time being. However, that brings me to the problem of being unable to write due to letting my creative faculties go too far into rest mode. I certainly can't shift any more focus from Darkness & Stars, as it is already going slow enough as it is. So that puts me right back at the proverbial square one.

How do the damn Thousand Whispers do it?

Heh, guess this explains why I feel more attuned to being a Devil Tiger.

No comments: