And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Other Side Of The Coin

[begin disturbingly accurate Yoda impersonation]
A funny thing, time is.

Funnier than time, money is.

Funnier than money and time combined, nothing is.
[end disturbingly accurate Yoda impersonation]

Random Note: yes, I do have a disturbingly accurate vocal impersonation of Yoda. Don't ask how I got it.

I've noted before that my current job affords me quite a bit more pocket money than my last one. For one thing, I haven't managed to burn through even half of my last paycheck, which hasn't happened to me since my last call center job, at Ambergris. However, that may also be affected by the fact that I don't have the time to actually spend the damn cash.

Or rather, I don't have the time to go to the places where I can spend the damn cash.

Indulge me a little here, folks.

I'm an anime fan. Sure, my periods of interest have been on and off over the years, but I've always been willing to return to the fold whenever I see a show that I think is worth my time. I've ranted before on how rare it is to find good anime nowadays, what with so much crap out there like Naruto and Bleach. Still, there are little gems and sleeper hits that really catch my eye as being a worthy investment of my time and money. Examples include Maria-sama ga Miteru (which had a local airing that got canceled because the Philippine anime community is composed of Narutards who have no taste in anime whatsoever), School Days, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, and, I realized recently, Lucky Star.

Opening video for Lucky Star shown here:


Now, as I said, I have the cash to indulge my particular habit. I can probably grab that boxset of Ranma 1/2 (hate that show) or Fate/Stay Night (love the game, not that big a fan of the anime version) if I damn well wanted to. Or better yet, grab a boxset of the seasons and OVA of Maria-sama ga Miteru (and satisfy my odd desire to see Shimako-brand moe) at last! However, something's in my way.

Time.

My current office is located far, far away from any Comic Alley branch (that I'm aware of) and there isn't a reliable stall in the area that sells pirated anime DVDs. Well, not the DVDs I'm looking for, at least. Since the anime I seek isn't the kind that gets a lot of publicity, they're not that easy to find. You try looking for a DVD of Maria-sama ga Miteru in the usual places (Quiapo, St. Francis Square, Makati Cinema Square, 168 Mall, etc.) and see how well you do. In most cases, I have no choice but to wait and see if I'll ever find it. In theory, I do have the software and the Internet connection to rip the videos off YouTube, but video quality suffers and, like what happened with School Days, I don't want to have to open up movie editing software to put the parts of an episode together. Not to mention the process would take too damn long.

For now, I haven't found a way to alleviate the problem yet. I guess I should be thankful that most of the anime I like have alternative ways for me to get my hands on them. Still, the fact that not a single DVD has been added to my humble collection since I started working in Ascend Asia alarms me. I always add at least one DVD to my collection. That's been a tradition since I started working. I'm afraid I'll lose touch, which disturbs me to no end.

So for now, I talk myself into being content with little clips from the anime I like. I'm particularly fond of the fake bloopers from the Maria-sama ga Miteru DVDs, as they're funny and almost entirely out of character. Almost.

Here's some of my favorites:










But this, among all the clips, is my favorite:


And just for kicks:






Which Maria-sama ga Miteru girl are you most like?




You are Shimako!
Take this quiz!








Quizilla |
Join

| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code

No comments: