And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Friday, November 16, 2007

Funny How Life Turns Like That

There are things in this world that make me stop and ponder, but there are few things that can genuinely and consistently make me laugh.

Then there are the things that make me go 'WTF' (in both positive and negative and just plain WTF ways).

Let's note down the positive stuff first, shall we?

A friend of mine is now working at the same company that I am. This, of course, is a good thing. The company, for all the flaws and questionable things in it (which I'll get to a little later), is infinitely better than the last company I worked for. She's on the night shift, but that's okay. She's doing well, which is really what matters here, even if I'd prefer she be on the day shift. I mean, that is what she wants and, let's face it, there's really no need for there to be a night shift for web content writers. Really.

I've somehow managed to avoid wasting several months' worth of work by not continuing Darkness & Stars. The fact that I'm still writing for it even though it has become significantly longer than anything else I've written over the course of my short, pitiful existence astounds me. Sure, there are times when the process is a little slow-going, but overall, there's no indication that I won't be able to finish it. Just don't expect me to finish it soon, mate.

I'm getting in some good gaming time lately, without having to sacrifice too much sleep. I've recently completed three runs of Classic Adventures, but I'll keep my saves untouched and the entire folder on back-up while I go back to regular Baldur's Gate II. I've still got to play through both the Sarah and Beyond The Law mods, even though I usually dislike playing mods without ToB content.

Clamp In Wonderland 2:


Jessica Asakura:


Now then, for the negative stuff, yes?

What is it with this garbage about having to "make up" for certain days? That's crap and the management knows it. The days they're asking us to "make up" for don't need to be made up, seeing as how they're fucking holidays and we're not supposed to come in for work anyway. This whole "missing two days of work, so we need to make up for it by coming in on Saturdays" line is pure garbage, and everyone here knows it. Seriously, folks. Who tells their employees not to come in on Christmas day then asks them to put in an extra day of work for not coming in on Christmas? On that point, who actually goes to work on Christmas?

This weird Christmas outing thing planned by some of the higher-ups. I personally think the idea is insipid and a needless waste of both time and money on everyone's part. I mean, why have some sort of weird party-thing on your own when the company is already sponsoring one? Why waste your own money when someone else is willing to waste theirs on you? Furthermore, there appears to be little to no actual planning going on, such as the itinerary. Hell, there's not a shred of any real, concrete planning for any aspect of this trip. Not even the food, from what I gather. Sure, a lot of this could be going on in levels I don't have access to, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I think this is a stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

The state of Philippine politics. But then, when is the state of Philippine politics ever good?

And finally, the simply WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Remember that friend I told you about? The one that's working where I am now? Yeah, well, there's quite a bit of funny stuff going on around her. From what I hear, guys on the night shift (sex-deprived, as another friend puts them) gravitate around her to some degree. She herself hasn't really complained about it, but my contacts among the writers in the night shift tell me she seems just slightly uncomfortable about the whole thing. So what do they do? Charlie, one of the night shift writers, casually mentions that my friend and I are together! In the name of what's left of the great campaign setting known as the Forgotten Realms, that idea is just so ridiculous that the only reaction it warranted from me when I was first told of it is thus: WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Mind you, my friend (not Charlie) is a pretty girl and very nice, but we're just friends. I don't think we're even particularly close friends, if you think about it. I don't know whether to laugh at this, or just sit back and see what sorts of insanity can be...extracted from this.

3 comments:

Cough Syrup Junkie said...

there's really no need for there to be a night shift for web content writers -- true! i wanted to apply there sana kaya lang nung nalaman ko may night shift, wag na lang.

kawawa naman ang sister ko jan, pinagnanasaan na ng mga kung sinu-sino..eeww...

VIIIofSwords said...

bakit naman? ayos pa naman si RCon ah. and no, hindi ko kasalanan kung bakit tingin ng mga guys sa night shift na kami ni RCon, pero at least nawala na daw yung mga magulo.

Anonymous said...

smile nalang and just let them be... : )