And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, November 19, 2007

Webcomic Thoughts

There were days when I was a webcomic addict. I'd read things like Go Girly, Pawn, MegaTokyo, Looking For Group, Okashina Okashi, and even Sexy Losers. Among various others. I was particularly fond (for reasons I do not quite understand) of stuff like April and May, Exploitation Now, and Tomoyo42's Room. Hell, I even put up with the weirdness of Life of Riley and Hello Cthulhu.

But now? Well, now I seem to have faded.

I mean, some of my favorites from the aforementioned list ended and there was no reason to keep visiting their site in the hope of a new comic. But what about the ones that haven't "died" or ended yet? I mean, sure some of the above are all over and done with, but what about the ones that aren't? I don't know. I just don't feel the need to actually read through them anymore. Sure, I drop by Looking For Group at least once a week and check out MegaTokyo once a month, but that's about it. Well, aside from the odd visit to Contemplating Reiko, which always lifts my mood, but that's beside the point. I don't even bother to save the comics and dump them into my HD for future reference or something anymore.

I've particularly lost the desire to read MegaTokyo, though I don't really see why. The art has improved considerably over time, naturally. The plot is a tight one and I definitely see that as an improvement from the "a joke a minute" format of the first part of it. So why do I only bother when I've got absolutely nothing else to do? I don't know.

I don't even know why I stopped reading it so damn much in the first place. Maybe it has to do with time, but that's unlikely. Between all my side projects and playing various games, I still have a little bit of time to catch up on my favorite webcomics.

I guess I just got tired of reading them, after a while. The good thing about webcomics with plots is that there's more than just the art and the humor to hook you in. The problem with that same set-up is that you tend to slowly develop a lack of patience for delayed updates. Well, for me, anyway. I sort of like my webcomics the way I like some of my manga: I want there to be a strong plot, but if you can tie up a good subplot that doesn't always have to tie in directly to the core story, I don't mind either.

That's probably why I still read Pawn and, to a lesser degree, Looking For Group. The first because the story is updated in parts, so I don't have to wait too long for one story arc to be completed, even though the overarching plot hasn't even really gotten going yet. The second I like because the updates are regular and set, which means that I can visit it once a week, which means I don't have to wait too long to know more of what's going on.

Am I making any sense? Probably not. Just as well, I think.

You know, one of these days, I'll finally realize that my list of projects to be done is finally done. As it stands, I seem to constantly be adding things to it. For the morbidly curious (and I honestly can't imagine who would be), here's the list in order of when they arrived, with the newest being at the bottom.

Create a visual novel using Ren'Py
Create an NPC mod for BGII with dissociative personality disorder
Finish Darkness & Stars
Finish Lie To Me
Develop the concept and start writing for Gouka Aya

Clearly, the first two on that list are the ones that I am least likely to actually pull off.

Edit:
This is just stupid: Pedophile allowed to work in kindergarten.

No comments: