And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Build Your Own Harem!

This is a simple game. If you could have a harem of 6 anime girls (plus one maid), who would you choose?

There are a few rules to this, however.
1. One character per series.
2. Twins and triplets and whatever else follows count as only one character.
3. The obligatory maid character should not be part of the harem itself.
4. Six harem members plus one maid only. No more, no less.

In my case, my choices are as follows:

Girl 1: Asakura Ryoko, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu

Why? Because she's a wonderful, helpful, cheerful soul. When she's not bent on ripping someone to pieces. I figure, so long as I'm not Kyon or a threat to the Integrated Sentient Data Entity, I'm not likely to get skewered by her. Also, knives are sexy. Clearly, Ryoko's the leader of this harem.

Girl 2: Fuyou Kaede, Shuffle!

The original yandere, if memory serves. Besides that, she's helpful around the house, is an excellent cook, is fiercely loyal, and is overall a pleasant person to be with. So long as you don't neglect her and all the good things she's doing for you. She can also easily perform the duties of a maid without taking up the maid slot.

Girl 3: Katsura Kotonoha, School Days

When she's not being psychotic and homicidal, she's actually a very sweet girl. She's not very good with the household things like Kaede is, but she makes up for it in smarts. Plus, I can probably talk her into reading my fiction, seeing as how she seems to like reading books. I think she'd appreciate a man who can not only appreciate, but actually stroke that intellectual side of her. Besides, she's obsessively loyal.

Girl 4: Matou Sakura, Fate/Stay Night

No, I'm talking about the version from the game Fate/Stay Night, not the less-than-perfect anime rendition. Sakura, like Kaede and Kotonoha before her, is really a nice girl. She's very sweet, very gentle, and overall, one of the nicest and most likable characters I've seen in recent times. Besides, putting her in my harem will take her away from that vile family and that harem-hogging Emiya Shirou. Also, Dark Sakura would be most handy in a fight, so long as I don't get in her way.

Girl 5: Sakai Chigusa, Shakugan no Shana

This is the first one to break from the established "mess with me and I'll kill you" pattern I've put in, don't you think? Regardless, she's a very accepting and accommodating woman, with quite a bit of wisdom and life experience. Plus, out of this whole group, she's probably the only normal one and I think every harem needs one --- and only one --- normal girl.

Girl 6: Fasalina, Gun x Sword

Kotonoha's loyalty, but without the psychotic tendencies. Ryoko's combat ability, but without the warm, cheerful facade. Chigusa's "older woman" appeal, but without the complication of being a mother. Plus she's just oozing with sex appeal.

The Maid: Hisui, Tsukihime

As with Sakura, I want the one from the game and not the "I deny that it even exists" anime version. Kohaku can cook, true. However, I already have Kaede for cooking, and Sakura for the days when she's not up to it. I do lack someone with the other necessary household skills, which is what Hisui is for. If I brought Kohaku in, I'd have to make room for them among the harem, and I don't want that kind of pressure.

No comments: