And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Annual Expression Of Hatred For Valentine's Day

It's February 14 again. Regular readers (all two of you) will know what that means: time for my annual expression of hatred for all things related to Valentine's Day.

I have nothing but cold contempt for this ridiculous excuse for a holiday. The whole thing is little more than an excuse for people to give chocolate and flowers, or to spend a couple of hours in some nice motel. Valentine's Day doesn't even have the pseudo-religious foundations that Christmas has, which makes the 14th of February an even worse excuse for people to buy and give pointless little trinkets that will cease to have any real meaning by the day's end.

Let's not even begin to talk about the utter stupidity that drives some people to seek out a date for Valentine's. Like a date on Valentine's that was obtained in a last-minute rush is going to have any actual meaning or point, aside from being a date on the day itself. This is sort of like that thing some Americans have about kissing someone on the New Year. It doesn't really matter who you kiss, or why. It just matters that you're kissing someone. Same thing applies in this situation. It doesn't matter who you're going out with, or why, or how long you two have been on a "relationship." So long as you've got yourself a date on Valentine's Day, you're all set. Pardon me while I feel sick.

I despite this holiday to my very core, and I've gone out of my way to do as many things that are against the stereotypical "spirit" of Valentine's each year as possible. I don't go out, even with friends. During the times I had a girlfriend on Valentine's, I didn't act like there was anything up. As far as I was concerned, it was just another day. I make it a point to watch horror movies and anime, particularly the ones that have little to no "romance" element in it. On the off chance that I decide to play a game, I become extra sadistic and take my time tormenting anyone I play against. Slowly. I avoid all bright colors, usually preferring to get dressed in as much black and dark blue as possible.

I hope, one day, Anonymous declares war on Valentine's Day and makes it a target for Project Chanology.

Damn you, Valentine's Day. Damn you to Hell.

3 comments:

me said...

i'm feelin' ya, bro.

happy black valentine to us. cheers.

Anonymous said...

ah basta, happy valentine's day pa rin harvs! nyahahahaha! pasensya ka at pasaway talaga ako, hahaha!

Cough Syrup Junkie said...

i didnt have a date yesterday but i still find valentine's day cute. hehe