And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, February 04, 2008

Things I've Learned Or Realized Fairly Recently

1. Microsoft Office 2007's visual interface is convoluted, confusing, and has a tendency to show you functions you don't want, but keep out of reach the functions that you do. The whole thing is like Anna Kournikova: looks pretty, but can't really do much aside from looking pretty.

2. The higher-ups at the place I work have a tendency to forget little details that can effectively ruin the whole deal when planning something out. A lot. For example, forgetting to make sure that the writers actually have word processing software on their remote server accounts.

3. It is a bad, bad, bad idea to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni alone, in a dark room, late at night. You won't find yourself scared out of your wits, but you will note that it isn't an easy task to fall asleep. I find this particularly true for Watanagashi-hen and Meakashi-hen, which are interlinked.

4. One of my kid brother's former teachers is someone I went to high school with.

5. A variety of highly unpleasant things that I'd rather not talk about here.

No comments: