And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Distractions

Just a little something my friend Jaja managed to unwittingly remind me of.

Writer's block, for me, inevitably comes down to a matter of distraction and concentration. Sadly, I'm the type that gets easily distracted from my writing. Fortunately, the things that are capable of distracting me tend to ne so specific that they ought not to crop up so damn much. In fact, they actually didn't crop up very often. Until fairly recently.

I've found that the things that are capable of distracting me are now more prominent around me than ever before. I've never piled on so many...extra-curricular activities on myself than ever before. Now, my computations tell me that I ought to be able to weather this through before June (I'd be done with all of them by mid-March if I'm lucky), but that's assuming I don't find ways to extend my period of distraction. Sadly, I inevitably do end up finding such means. Again, this is thanks to the relative ease by which I can distract myself nowadays.

Between my reawakened anime interest (damn you, Anime Grand Prix), the combination of a DSL connection and BitTorrent, and the financial ability to buy DVDs for series that are just too long for me to download, I'm surprised my list of titles to watch whenever I find the time isn't much longer than it currently is. Fortunately, the "priority" titles list isn't that long. I ought to be able to work through them in about...a month. Current titles that I simply have to watch when I gather the free time would be...Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and (Zoku) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. There's another list that consists of titles that I plan to watch when the fancy strikes me, which is not much longer than the priority list. This disturbs me a bit.

Of course, sad as this may be, they are not my only distractions, but they are the pertinent ones.

Pleasant though they may be, I can't help but wonder why I so willingly seek out distractions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilig mo talaga sa anime, uber!

Frankie Calcana said...

batang anime to si harvs eh.