And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Points Of Reflection

Someone once told me that I really wouldn't be who I am if I didn't have a healthy dose of what she called "restrained arrogance." Looking back, maybe she was right. I can, when in my element, be a complete bastard, and a cocky one at that. Even the people that know me the best wouldn't be able to tell that I spend most of my days reviewing and analyzing the past, trying to find glimpses of interest or wisdom from it. I've found that history repeats itself all too often in the arena of interpersonal relationships, so I might as well make use of my past and try to learn a few things from it.

Which, oddly, brings us to this post. I got to reviewing things while I was looking over my history of posts and felt like it was time for me to finally recognize the little gems I've had over time. The posts that actually meant something to me and were not random spills from my constantly leaky thought-faucet. I've made some rather scathing posts in the past, hopefully balanced by the occasionally useful bit of insight into human nature. Or this could all just be an exercise in arrogance and cockiness, whichever you prefer. Whatever the case, I've decided to waste a few minutes of my time looking up some of my favorite posts from the past, along with the ones that have garnered some measure of...reputation.

From oldest to newest:

Gripe #2 Goodbye Wave 3.3
Gripe #6 Thank You For Calling Circuit City Direct?
Gripe #7 Hum Of The Corporate Machine
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
To Be Earned
First Thoughts: EduNara
Gripe #8 One For The Old Guard
Obsession
Happy, Happy People
Cry. Scream. Die. Rinse. Repeat.
Remembering High School
BS From The Boss
I'm Unemployed. Again.
Elegy For A Perfect Rose
We Are Little More Than Whores Of The Capitalist Machine
Contemplating Suicide
To Slay The Beast
Writer's Block
Gripe #10 Down With The People!
Seems Like I Missed Something Here
Madness And The Art
The Mad Scribe's Musing On "The Art"
Old Friends, New Ideas
Of Personableness (Or Lack Thereof)
New Year, Old Blog
Gripe #13 A Return To Corporate Exploitation
Rules For Breaking Up

No comments: