And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, March 31, 2008

Magic: The Gathering Nostalgia Moment

If you've never played Magic: The Gathering in your life, ignore this post.

I haven't played this old game in years. Years. I also haven't seen my favorite deck build (at the top of my game, I had seven), my old discarder, in years. I kind of miss it, seeing as how it could easily beat the living daylights out of virtually any other deck that my brother has now. Although, being an ancient thing, I think it due a bit of an upgrade. Missing as it is, I decided to just try and remember as much about it as I could and fill in the holes with newer stuff.

Here's what I came up with.

3 Wrench Mind
2 black, sorcery
Target player discards two cards unless he or she discards an artifact card.


4 Hymn To Tourach
2 black, sorcery
Target player discards two cards at random.


4 Stupor
2 colorless, 1 black, sorcery
Target opponent discards a card at random, then discards a card.


3 Coercion
2 colorless, 1 black, sorcery
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. Choose a card from it. That player discards that card.


2 Mindstab
5 colorless, 1 black, sorcery
Target player discards three cards.
Suspend 4-Black Mana (Rather than play this card from your hand, you may pay Black Mana and remove it from the game with four time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, play it without paying its mana cost.)


2 Bottomless Pit
1 colorless, 2 black, enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player discards a card at random.


3 Megrim
2 colorless, 1 black, enchantment
Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.


1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
X colorless, 3 black, legendary creature - Human Wizard
Maga, Traitor to Mortals comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Maga comes into play, target player loses life equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.


1 Havoc Demon
5 colorless, 2 black, creature - Demon
Flying
When Havoc Demon is put into a graveyard from play, all creatures get -5/-5 until end of turn.


4 Dark Ritual
1 black, instant
Add 3 black to your mana pool.


4 Hypnotic Specter
1 colorless, 2 black, creature - Specter
Flying
Whenever Hypnotic Specter deals damage to an opponent, that player discards a card at random.


4 Terror
1 colorless, 1 black, instant
Destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature. It can't be regenerated.


2 Knight of Dusk
1 colorless, 2 black, creature - Human Knight
2 black: Destroy target creature blocking Knight of Dusk.


2 Damnation
2 colorless, 2 black, sorcery
Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.


1 Feldon's Cane
1 colorless, artifact
Tap, Remove Feldon's Cane from the game: Shuffle your graveyard into your library.


I haven't considered what would be good sideboard cards yet, though.

No comments: