And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Strange Descriptions

Over the years, and through a multitude of connections with people, I've established myself as a part of other people's lives. A small part, but still a part. Considering the fact that I don't really go around making connections with other people in a social or professional setting a particularly high priority, this might strike some people as relatively odd.

Then again, there are more than a few things about me that many of the people I encounter would find odd. Just the way life is, I guess. No doubt that I'd find a few things about them to be inexplicably odd as well, but that would probably take too much effort to find out. I just tend to let my own weirdness out more easily, I guess. I'm sure there are a few thousand people out there that are weirder than I am, but to date, I haven't found them.

Of course, over the course of those many connections and relationships, I've obviously been introduced to other people by the ones that know me. I've also been described by the people I know to people they know but I don't. Throughout that same span of time, I've been conscious enough to make note of how people describe my personality. For some reason, a good number of them actually amuse me. Even the ones that contradict others or themselves.

Especially the ones that contradict others or themselves.

Here are a few of my favorites.

From a friend from high school:
"Someone who needs to watch more Spongebob because he needs to dumb down a little."

From another high school friend, one that I didn't maintain contact with after graduation:
"Too mature for his age, too smart for his own good, and too oblivious to realize it."

From the second one's sister:
"Too immature for his own good, too dense for his age, and too observant to see the big picture."

From a friend in college:
"A narcoleptic insomniac."

From another friend in college:
"Dazed and confused."

From a fellow anime fan:
"He's a masochistic necrophiliac pedophile. He likes crazy girls, too."

From a very disgruntled ex-girlfriend:
"Evil incarnate, and damn proud of it."

From a former professor:
"Very intelligent, has lots of potential, but is too apathetic to realize any of it."

From a former co-worker who was linked to me romantically, but nothing was going on:
"The best person to go to for emotional advice, for the simple reason that his neutrality leads to objective, sensible advice. That nobody ever follows."

From an another anime fan, but one who dabbled in other genres:
"A product of a childhood on Robotech and teen years on romantic comedies. In other words: nonsensical."

From a very unusual friend who, by her nature, doesn't have anything good to say about anyone:
"Probably a little feminine because of all the dramas and love stories he likes so much, but he's too obsessed with pretty girls to be anything more than a little too weird."

And, from a close friend that I manage to sporadically contact every once in a while:
"A walking encyclopedia with all the useful bits torn out."

In other news, Hollywood might make a Ghost In The Shell adaptation. I foresee disaster, because there's no way any Western director can pull this story off and there's absolutely no way any actress can pull off Major Motoko Kusanagi with any degree of credibility.

No comments: