And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Cash Is Fine. In Fact, Cash Is Preferable.

It is no secret that I love money. I love having it. I love spending it. I love the feeling that comes with people owing me money. I love the feeling that I get when I collect debts even more. You might say I have a very unnatural attachment to my finances --- not to mention the things that I obtain through use of my finances. However, there is one aspect of finance that I bitterly dislike.

And no, it isn't taxes. That's more of a government thing, in my book.

I hate banks.

To be more specific, I despise the ATM network system.

Especially when it decides to go up and shut itself down when I'm in the middle of getting my Cthulhu-damned pay.

This all happened a few days after payday. The transaction is a relatively simple one. Go to ATM, check balance, withdraw money, leave. Painless, really. Done it a few hundred times before. However, this particular event goes awry in the most ridiculously perfect way. Somewhere along the process, I have to confirm the withdrawal of my cash before the machine actually spits it out in nice, crisp bills. The machine decides to go off-line, eat my card, and screw me over in the one or two seconds in between the aforementioned events. This event has only served to solidify my belief that I should get my pay in cold, hard cash. What does this mean? A few things.

First, my card was stuck in there.

This I got taken care of by talking to the people inside the bank, who got it out for me. At the very least, I have my card back. The same card that reminds me that the bastards at the bank still have my money and won't give it to me.

Second, due to the inexplicably perfect timing of it all, the bank records now show that, since I confirmed the withdrawal, I already have my money. Which I don't.

This, of course, is very, very taxing. I guess I can consider myself fortunate that I have a little bit of money on the side, so I can use that to tide me over until I get what I earned back. However, this whole situation makes me feel like I'm the one paying for a screw-up on the bank's part, which I shouldn't be.

Third, because of the incredible timing, I am now stuck waiting for the bank to conduct an investigation into the things that happened before I can get my money.

If I'm timing this correctly, they should be done by the time payday hits. That's if they even bother to give me my money. As I said, these banking bastards seem utterly and completely dependent on their computer records to tell them everything. The awful timing of the outage just means that the money I should have gotten is currently stuck in limbo, and I'm unlikely to get it anytime soon.

I'm going to try and wait this one out, though. They said that they'd inform me in a week or two if --- IF! --- I can get my money. Bastards though they may be, I'm willing to see how this pans out. If the bank refuses to recognize my claim to my money, I'll take my friend's advice and see if my employer's accounting department can do anything about this. After all, technically speaking, the company is the client and not me.

For the curious, the bank in question is Banco De Oro.

Expect a more...inelegant post on my part should they try to do a Gene Cruz on me.

And on a completely unrelated note:
You did not see me on TV. It was only someone who looked like me and had the same name.

I ADMIT NOTHING!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wushus! kaw yun eh!

me said...

that was YOU! i swear it was YOU! how could YOU! hahaha.


i like that. so ex-boss' name is now a noun for something that screws you up, isn't it? i like that very much.

Team7 said...

haha...yu kenat denay et!!!
anyway, now BDO has a new reputation :) bew blog po...ala na ung sol invictus...

Anonymous said...

pa-autograph naman!