And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Friday, April 25, 2008

YouTube Raiding

I'm not entirely sure if I have, but I think that, at one point, I managed to talk about how to raid YouTube for videos using the software combination of YouTube Downloader to grab the videos, and Media Coder to convert it to other formats. Or just rip the audio out, whichever I felt like doing.

The only problem I had with this approach was that, sadly, I couldn't get it to work on Linux. Both are pieces of software that need to be installed on a Windows machine. I'd be willing to try emulation or WINE or something, but I haven't had the chance to do so. However, now I've discovered a way to grab them without the need to install anything, or even the need to be on Windows. All you'd need to use the wonderful, wonderful website known as KeepVid is to have an Internet browser. If you don't have that, then how the Hell are you reading this, let alone thinking about grabbing YouTube videos?

Here's the basics of how to use this:
1. Load the video on YouTube. Well, actually, all you need is the URL.
2. Open KeepVid on a separate browser. I've not managed to get it to work on a separate tab in Firefox, but others may have done it. I don't know.
3. Copy and paste the video's URL in the appropriate textbox on the KeepVid site and click download.
4. Left-click on the format option of your choice, which would be either .flv or .mp4.

Notes:
1. .flv (flash videos) are the format YouTube stores their videos in on default. Low video quality downloads to be had from this format, though they're much simpler to convert using Media Coder than the alternative.
2. .mp4 videos are of higher quality, and much bigger in size. Note that this is video quality. The audio quality remains much the same, regardless of which format you pick.

No comments: