And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Like This Build

As many of you have already come to realize, I like the Magic color black a little bit too much for my own good. I'm also the type to lean more into an aggressive, quick strategy than one that revolves more around how two cards interact or on playing defense until very late in the game. In short, I prefer aggro over control or combo. Not just any type of aggro, though. I like my aggro fast and able to deliver a lot of pressure quickly and reliably. With that in mind, I set about to build a type of deck that has, sadly, faded from the face of the Magic competitive scene: black weenie.

The archetype has been around since the beginning, with cards like Black Knight and Dark Ritual. However, it slowly faded out or was adapted into other forms because small black creatures didn't have the same quality that white, green, or red did. Blue is an entirely different matter, but only recently has mono-blue weenie really been a viable alternative. Shows how different things are in the current environment, I suppose. Anyway. I know black weenie isn't the competitive monster archetype that it used to be, and that builds like Eva Green and Suicide Black are more modern evolutions of it, but I'm stubborn.

So anyway, my current build on MWS, which I have affectionately nicknamed Kotonoha Katsura:

Lands:
18 Swamp

Spells:
4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
3 Cursed Scroll
4 Dark Ritual
3 Bonesplitter
2 Liliana Vess

Creatures:
4 Black Knight
4 Nantuko Shade
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Mourning Thrull
2 Ashling the Extinguisher

It isn't the best deck in the world, but I've come to like this build a lot and I think it's a relatively solid weenie deck. I'd love to find a way to stick Hunted Horror into the deck, however. A 7/7 trample 2-drop is just too good to not include if I can find an easy way around the drawback without having to go into other colors.

No comments: