And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, December 08, 2008

In Pursuit Of Perfect Black Aggro

As I was digging through my files the other day, I stumbled upon the folder named "Decks" under my Magic Workstation directory.

For the unaware, Magic Workstation is a piece of software that allows people to play Magic on the Internet without having to play via Wizards of the Coast's own system, Magic Online. Completely free, the updated database has all the expansions (up to the latest releases), and easy to use. The only real hassle is how damn long it takes to get all the art for the cards. But enough of that. I was digging through my files, found the folder for the decks I've made in it, and realized something.

I've made close to 50 of them.

And, for the most part, they're the kind of decks I'd make if I could afford to actually buy the cards. Or if I could find them. So hard finding older cards nowadays, with Wizards preferring to focus on promoting and supporting the "Standard" tournament environment, which includes only the latest of sets and the latest "core edition." This is "Type 2" for us older players, who were around and active prior to the ridiculously large number of expansions that came out - and the ridiculous amount of abilities, mechanics, keywords, rules changes, and whatnot that came with them. I also have a few people I play with online, and many of them are the type to experiment with different decks or themes. In other words, I am having fun with the game again.

And, fortunately, I actually have almost all the art. I'm just missing art for some promotional cards, but I have the ones I want. Oddly, I got into Magic because of the artwork on the cards. I left because there was nobody left to play with by the time I left for college. Now, though, both "concerns" have been answered.

I don't win a lot, but I have a decent ratio. And I get an odd sense of satisfaction when I make other players go "What the fuck?" after I do something utterly unconventional. With that in mind, I'm oddly focused on one particular build: black aggro, or sometimes known as suicide black.

Black has always been one of my favored colors. I don't know why, really, but it appeals to me. The color also gives me a wide range of options for the type of deck I have in mind, but making it all fit in a 60-card deck without sacrificing the chances of me drawing them is tough. I have a total of five variations on black aggro on MWS, and will likely end up building more in time. I'm just not fully satisfied with their speed, power, and even their raw offensive capacity.

Playing on the Internet has somehow re-invigorated my desire to upgrade my own real-life decks, as odd as that might sound. Maybe it's because I've been exposed to some good cards thanks to the software. Not sure.

I'll have to ponder that. Eventually.

But for now, I pursue the perfect blend of speed, power, and defense in my pursuit of the perfect black aggro deck.

No comments: