And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, September 28, 2009

I Aim To Misbehave.

So, my boss wants a written (and signed, I bet) explanation for one of my recent entries. So I will oblige him. In the interest of transparency, I will include said written explanation here, along with some minor commentary.

With that in mind, let us delay no further.

The Explanation:
Why did I write those things? The answer is simple. It needed to be said.

We are employees. This comes with the sad implication that no matter what the boss does, says, or implements, we are to bend over and accept it. We do not question, we do not doubt, and we certainly do not say anything about it. Simply put, unless you are somehow in some sort of managerial position, you are apparently not supposed to complain, and you are supposed to just let people above you walk all over you.

I do not hold to that.

My view is simple. I have not said anything that did not need to be said. What I said is both my personal opinion and, quite likely, a sentiment shared by others in the company among the rank and file. I am not happy with this recent string of refusals to take command responsibility, the multiple instances of insane policy, and the constant attempts to take away what little enjoyment we have in the office environment.

I did not say anything that nobody else has not already expressed. The only difference is that I said it out loud. I figured none of them were actually going to speak up about it, to be frank about it. Quiet acceptance, I have noted, has only invited further provocation from the company, and frankly, I was tired of being provoked.

Someone had to come out and openly say the things that we have kept bottled up and never spoke of. Someone had to let it all out. Someone had to make you notice. Whatever it is you think you're doing, we aren't happy about it. Most just choose not to talk about it for reasons of their own. As for myself? I've done this before; I saw the need to speak out then, and I see the need to speak out now.

Your recent actions show us you have no respect for us. You have shown us no respect in your decisions, your policies, and your actions. So I ask, why should we continue to show you respect?


So, what comes next? Maybe he'll fire me. Maybe I'll get some sort of sanction. Maybe nothing will happen. I honestly don't know, and am only barely bringing myself to care about the possibility of being unemployed. Again.

One would think I've have learned to keep my mouth shut by now, but, see...keeping my mouth shut means I am being "reasonable." Frankly, if everyone in the history of the world was "reasonable," the human race would be extinct. So I made my choice.

I did not back down.

I should, perhaps, mention that I do not intend to take anyone with me. Yes, we all think the same as what I said, but not everyone said it out loud. That was my move, and my move alone. Should my move be justification for my part on this Game to end, then so be it. I will only regret that no one else spoke up as I did, because I think we all know more people need to speak up.

Note: Many thanks to the wonderful series Firefly and the movie Serenity for the title. Great stuff.

No comments: