And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, October 23, 2006

Random...No, Not Arthur Dent's Kid

Judging from the title, you have probably guessed that I have finally gotten myself to go through my copy of The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide, by Douglas Adams. Good set of books. Funny as Hell.

Also, I found this:
I am worth $1,918,332 on HumanForSale.com

Funny, that.

Anyway, I had plans to write something over the weekend and, for a bit, I did. It isn't long, but it is a start. After re-reading Yuki's Diary, I think I finally caught on to just what made me write it for so long in the first place. It was fun, chief. With that in mind, I decided to try and take another crack at the concept. Granted, YD was too gratuitously lesbian-ized (hehe) for my current tastes and frankly, I don't think I tried hard enough to make it feel like I wasn't some sort of perverted chauvinist. I'm sure at least one female reader of the story got that feeling while she was going through...the first paragraph?

I've played around with the thought of re-writing it but I already converted it into a PDF, which means that it stays as-is. So, in retaliation, I decided to re-tool the concept and give the core idea another go, minus the excessive lesbian sex. I haven' even decided on the main character's name yet, so that may or may not be a good sign. While I don't plan on having a murderous, sociopath as a love interest for the narrator, in keeping with YD tradition, she will have a female love interest. That girl's name is decided. Now, the cast will be solely female and I will attempt to draw diversity (personality-wise) into them. I think I'll go for a "less sex, more tension" feel to this, though I won't make any promises. And the actual time it takes place in is also a question for me. So far, what I've written ahs not gone into anything terribly specific but I'm considering making in somewhat futuristic, with one of the characters being genetically superior. She's supposed to be faster, stronger, and prettier than the others and genetic alteration seems like the easiest explanation. Not sure if I'll use it though, since that brings up the question of why the others aren't modified. Also, the use of cosmetic modifications (like hair color) came into my mind, if only to allow me more flexibility in hair and eye colors than the stereotypical Asian colors of black and various shades of brown. Or I could just say they came from a bottle/genetic abnormality, but that only works on the hair and only if I use naturally occuring eye colors. Hmm...

Well, I'll just have to keep hammering at it. Maybe I'll find some sort of compromise to it. Radiation-caused mutations, maybe?

Oddly, despite everything, I feel...sad. Melancholic. Depressed. It all seems...pointless now. I love writing and I love what I'm writing outside of work (inside work is a different matter) but in the end, I'm starting to doubt if I'm going to enjoy them once they're done. And I don't know why but, oddly, that bottle of vodka and those sleeping pills are beginning to look mighty friendly...

P.S.

I hate this whole "keywords" bull-crap that I have to deal with in my new job. And my hatred for cars and motorcycles and RVs now has expanded to cover the thousand-and-one ways to babble endlessly about the pointless, stupid ways to finance a purchase of one.

No comments: