And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Thousand And One Inconveniences!!!

Okay, maybe not that many, but still..

First off, I can never seem to find a perfect, working mouse. My optical mouse at home double clicks by itself. Yes, I am looking to have that fixed or checked or something. My mouse at work is the old school mouse, the one with the damn ball. Unfortunately, no matter how much I clean the inside, the 5 years' worth of abuse and grime has taken its toll. Unless I find some way of moving the mouse that almost constitutes as physical assault, it won't move past the halfway point of the damn screen. Stupid rat.

Speaking of work-related inconveniences, let me explain about the "keyword" garbage I have to deal with. Well, not so much the need for keywords to be inserted into the text but more...the frequency of it. I can understand having to slip it in once or twice but...let me put it this way, you know those Internet ads? The ones that get a lot of search engine results because they've got good grammar and repeat a certain set of words a lot? That's what I have to make on a daily basis. What annoys me is that we're generally required to slip in the keyword in a specific pattern. Even when we're writing news. Without going into details because that would be bad for my contract, let me just say that there are only so many ways you can sneak the words "global trade deals" into a news story, especially if the source never even mentions those words. Not even once. Don't even get me started on the keywords that have atrocious grammar.

I am annoyed at the lack of fanart for several of the Castlevania monsters. That series has some of the best monster designs I've ever seen and it is a shame that they don't show up in fanart circles more often. There's the Venus Weed (or the Alura Une variant in Aria of Sorrow). Or the Frozen Shade. Hell, I'll even take fanart of the Diplocephalus or the Valkyrie. As long as it isn't the Succubus. I have seen enough of those to last me a long time, believe me. Death. We need more Death fanart.

Has anyone ever noticed how time seems to flow...differently at certain jobs? Back in my Circuit City and Dell Customer Care days, time seemed to flow inexplicably slow. I swear, a week felt more like 2 weeks back then. Now, however, a week...feels less than that. I know it doesn't feel as long as it did when I was working call centers, nor do they drag on (in my mind) as they did when I was still in college. Funny, that. I'll have to come up with some sort of bad logic theory to explain that away.

Writing wise, I'm a slug but I'm still at it. Re-worked the concept for YD, threw away the old cast in favor of a new one, and I think I'm all set. Thinking of having 2 narrators and adding a whole box of weird fantasy and sci-fi themed knick-knacks into the mix, just for kicks. Like girls popping out of giant roses, or a girl with purple eyes and purple hair who is genetically superior to everyone else in the damn story. Or maybe I'll stick with a mundane, somewhat realistic setting and just include the oddities for the weird imagination of one of the characters? Or to make people think I'm high as a kite while I write it. Whichever seems more fun for me.

And I have got to start sketching again.

No comments: