And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Am Really...Bored

Well, hasn't this been an interesting month-so-far?

I've just finished Gakuen Alice, which was fun to watch, if a little strange. I'm not re-watching Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu anymore, though I am finally getting around to reading the translations of the novels. The differences between the show's version of events and the descriptions in the original material tend to be minor and nothing seems to really be the kind of thing that can drastically alter the plot. I'm looking forward to the next season, which is rumored to be based on book 4: The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. I think it'd be interesting, seeing a show about Haruhi Suzumiya not actually having Haruhi around for most of the season. That is, if the show mimics the book as closely as the first season did for the first book.

I'm re-playing Final Fantasy Tactics, out of sheer boredom at home. I find there's very little (so far) that can stand in the way of a high-level Monk/Geomancer that's mastered every skill for both sides. Of course, she has back-up in the form of Ramza (Wizard/Oracle), an Archer/Thief hybrid, a master Priest, and a Lancer-in-training/Time Mage. I'm thinking of adding a Knight/Chemist to that very soon. Though my usual combat team will likely end up having Agrias and Mustadio along once I get them as permanent members. I suppose now would be a good time to reveal that I've never been very good with turn-based strategy games, though I usually don't have that much trouble understanding and playing real-time strategy games. I'm particularly good at Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (Soviets, because there's nothing like a sever lag-inducing conscript rush to really piss off the people you play against) and Battle Realms (Lotus or Serpent). I'm not fond of the hero-focus on Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, however. Oh, Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal is now gone from my PC.

With Valentine's Day gone, I can breathe easy again. I've already mentioned that I dislike that particular day, though I haven't figured out why I feel so terrified whenever the 14th of February comes around. The sensation is completely different from my feelings during Christmas, which is more akin to a sense of disgust and barf-coming-up-from-the-back-of-my-throatishness. No, Valentine's inspires a completely different (but no less unwelcome) sensation from my body, spirit, and mind. To my recollection, there aren't any holidays/events that I should be worrying about now, up until...the Chinese Moon Festival, methinks. Or Tanabata, depending on certain aspects of my (terminal) social life.

I'm still not sure what to write about outside of work and this utterly-devoid-of-readers blog. I'm sure I'll come up with something that I can work with but, for now, I'll let the various character's voices and faces argue until they can't argue anymore in the back of my head. Let the characters kill each other and sort themselves out until one of them is left and I work with whatever idea is attached to that character. The Battle Royale approach worked before, creating Yuki's Diary and Shinjo No Aijo, so I don't see any reason for such a tactic to now work this time around. Akatsuki, for the curious, didn't follow this method of story selection. I might have them dance Hare Hare Yukai for no good reason before this whole process is done. Mmm...dancing Haruhi. Tasty. Might be about time I wrote the sequel (in concept) to Shinjo No Aijo.

Also, I may go mad listening to them over and over again but...well, the only songs I have on my MP3 player at the moment are: Bouken Desho Desho, Hare Hare Yukai, Parallel Days, Koi No Mikuru Densetsu, Lost My Music, God Knows..., and SOS Nara Daijobu. Yes, they're all songs from Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu.

Back to work now.

I'll come up with the 10 Principles of Haruhiism soon. On a side note, I view Haruhiism not as a pseudo-religion, as other fans do, but as a philosophy, a way of looking at life, the universe, and everything.

Yes, I think Haruhiism, not 42, is the Ultimate Answer.

No comments: