And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Month Of Love

I know I'm ahead of things but let me begin my February entries with this statement: I loathe Valentine's Day.

With that out of the way, what am I doing now? Well, I'm still the same old delusional fool I've always been. Only the things that occupy my time have had any significant changes made to them.


On The Gaming Front:


Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal is still installed. I've done away with most mods, however. I've opted to make the game seem entirely new, with a fresh installation of the Classic Adventures mod. Although I'm surprised that I can actually export a character from SoA to Classic Adventures with no trouble. In other words, Haruhi, my level 12 Chaotic Good Monk (yes, I used ShadowKeeper to change the alignment before installing CA) is running around the CA world and killing goblins, kobolds, and whatnot.

I've put in an Azumanga Daioh-based snowball fight game that reminds me of Bomberman. I've also re-installed Melty Blood and Melty Blood ReAct after a long absense from my HD. I'm thinking of putting in some time in Unreal Tournament again, too. Also, I've managed to finally get Valkyrie Fight Tag running, though I've yet to actually finish the damn game.


On The Fiction Front:


I'm drawing a blank for this one. I know I want to make a story (or a set of stories) with the main character as a fantasy-style monk. In other words, a master/mistress of unarmed combat. I know that the character has to be female, though I'm not sure what the story should be about, or what the setting should be. I don't want to make a fantasy setting and a martial artist would be somewhat out of place in a sci-fi setting. I could make her fit in better in a modern world setting with some fantasy or horror elements, but I'm not quite sure which method to choose. If things come to a head, I might draw on vampires or demons again. I also have a couple of ideas in mind that don't seem so usual or typical, but I'll have to tinker them a little.

Also, I'm having an internal debate on whether or not I should make the setting have an Eastern flavor or a Western one. Maybe a combination of both, on some level? I'll work something out at some point, I keep telling myself, though I'm not sure I believe myself anymore.

On The Modding Front:

Well, I'm still tring to figure things out with the modding tools. I haven't gotten much further than that. Let me get back to you on that in the future.

On The Anime Front:


Not much. I'm watching Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu for the fifth time. I seriously find this the most entertaining show I've ever watched. I'm convinced that if more people followed Haruhi's philosophy, we'd have a more exciting, more peaceful (relatively) world. I can only wish that Haruhi was real and that she really did have God-like abilities.

I've also started to ponder the possibilities of what Haruhi would be like if she was born on a different world. I'm vaguely positive she'd be a Monk in the Forgotten Realms, though she's certianly someone of Chaotic rather than Lawful alignment. She's probably Good but with quite a few Evil tendencies. She's definitely an Ofanite of Wind if she were an In Nomine Angel. She'd probably be working for Infernal Fire if she was a Demon, though I doubt she'd be a Calabite, possibly a Habbalite. I can't quite tell what Clan she'd be in Legend of the Five Rings, though I have no doubt that she cannot possibly be one of the Scorpion Clan. She sometimes gives off a bit of a Matsu or Hida vibe, though. Hmm...Matsu Haruhi...Hida Haruhi...I like those images. Itsuki's definitely a Scorpion. Mikuru's a Crane, by virtue of her last name, Asahina. Yuki...I'm guessing either Scorpion or Phoenix. Kyon is...unaligned?

On The Job Front:

No news here. Still with the same company. Still on the same project. I doubt I'll be leaving anytime soon, seeing as how I enjoy the work. Besides, I get free Internet access while at work, so I can download more stuff than I normally could. No, HSBC never called. Besides, I can't afford to switch jobs now that I'm going to end up paying for my mother's laptop, not to mention the 40GB USB hard disk I'm planning on buying to hold all the datajunk I've accumulated over the years.


On The Personal Front:


Even less movement than on the job front. Nothing ever changes the status quo of my personal life. I don't think anything can change my lack of a social life. Like most otaku, I must be content with pictures of girls as my only semblance of female companionship.

*sigh*

At least I have the smiling face of Suzumiya Haruhi to look forward to whenever I turn on my computers, whether the machine is at work or at home.

Come Valentine's, I'll be repeating my yearly tradition of sitting in front of my computer, slaughtering AI bots in some random FPS, and feeling warm, fuzzy feelings when I look at a cute girl's face on my desktop.

Currently Listening To:
God Knows... by Aya Hirano (left ear)
Rock You Like A Hurricane by The Scorpions (right ear)

No comments: