And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It Alone Is My Choice...

"The hardest step of any journey is the current one, for that alone is truly your choice."

Well, I think I've just realized the full truth of the above statement. While nothing is currently sure, I may end up being offered a Technical Writer position in HSBC. Yes, the Hong Kong-Shanghai Banking Corporation. That HSBC. If I decide to take that offer, I know and can honestly say that my sole reason would be the money. I like my current job. I like most of the people I work with. But I can't stand the pay and the people in the highest levels of management. The pay is really depressing, especially when I consider the salaries I got in my old jobs. The management, as I could tell pretty early on in the game, is not quite as stable as I'd like. HSBC would fix both problems, though I have a gut feeling that moving there would generate new ones for me.

Will I like the work environment? What about my co-workers? Will I actually have what is needed to write what I'd be required to write? Will I enjoy the work?

Part of me hesitates because I know I'll end up dealing with investments, credit cards, and the like. None of the above examples are anything I'm truly familiar, comfortable, or happy with. Nor am I interested in any of them. Okay, I watch Neil Cavuto's show on FoxNews once in a while, but I don't really understand a thing when they get real in-depth about financial issues. The Bulls & The Bears confuse me, folks.

For the time being, I'm trying to avoid answering my own internal dialogue by focusing on making an NPC mod for Baldur's Gate II. For the time being, Dominique (& Gabrielle) is pretty basic, though she'll get around to becoming a full-fledged NPC at some point.

Still, I'll have to answer the question eventually. I just hope I make the right decision for me.

In other news, Heil Haruhi!

No comments: