And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Haruhi-ism!

Have I ever mentioned just how much I love Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu? No? Well, I really should. Where to start, though?

I guess a good start would be just how unconventional the show is. The airing of the episodes outside of chronological order is just the tip of the iceberg. The mere idea of Haruhi or someone like her being completely unaware of her god-like powers is just disturbingly entertaining. Not to mention the fact that Haruhi herself is one of the most refreshingly chaotic characters I've ever seen yet manages to avoid the "ditz" label that many other characters like her tend to fall into. The fact that Haruhi Suzumiya can be so off-beat and nuts is, easily, one of the most entertaining aspects of the show, the character, and, perhaps, even anime as a whole.

Of course, there's the madcap collection of characters that may (or may not) be figments of Haruhi's imagination. While I confess I'm not all that fond of Kyon (likely because he reminds me too much of myself and the fact that I'm really a Haruhi/Mikuru pusher), I do rather enjoy watching his interactions with the other members of the SOS-dan and his attempts to "normalize" Haruhi *cough*God*cough*. Contrary to the stereotype, I actually am not a deranged, drooling nut over Mikuru. Sure, she's sexy, she's cute (she's popular to boot!), and she's a very sweet girl but I'm really more inclined to find (big surprise here) Haruhi more attractive. Though part of me has a fondness for Ryoko. Yuki seems a little too quiet, for my tastes, a little too computer-like. I'd love to see a little more development on Itsuki's character, however, as he seems to serve as nothing more than Haruhi's yes-man, though such a role is understandable if you consider just what Haruhi could be capable of.

If you haven't seen it yet, I order you to go watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Now.

Anyway, for no good reason, I provide a little breakdown on my current Baldur's Gate II CHARNAMEs:

First off, there's my perpetually (well, as perpetually as I can make him) drunk swashbuckler, Jack Sparrow. I've made him a little too good (as in Chaotic Good) to be a perfect fit for the real Pirates of the Carribean Jack Sparrow, but I've got other plans for a Chaotic Neutral character later on.

Lurking around the back until Jack makes it to Throne of Bhaal would be Lockhart, whom I previously mentioned. My poor little lesbian PC has been modified a little, however. For one thing, she's now a Neutral Evil Fighter/Mage that's disturbingly talented with a crossbow but can handle herself in close combat with a nice longsword. I'm definitely arming her with Blackrazor and Firetooth as soon as I have my handfs on them. Interestingly, I just realized I'm going to go through the game much faster with an Evil PC as opposed to a good one because, well, there's no Saerileth Romance to take my time with. My evil PCs tend to be female, anyway. Though I'm thinking of slipping in a Imoen Romance or two for my evil, evil women sometime in the future. The good guys can have the lovely and noble Saerileth, of course.

Hell, I'm toying with the idea of a Chaotic Neutral character based on Haruhi Suyuzima but...I'm not sure what class to make her. She's definitely charismatic and flexible, so high charisma and dexterity scores there. Wisdom should go down the drain for this one, though strength and constitution are probably in the high-average zone. The class is the problem. She's not shown using any sort of weapons, so a Monk would fit but Monks are Lawful folk. Kensai is a no-go too. She's not aware of her powers, so I can't go with any spellcasting class. Eh, I'll think up something eventually. Maybe it is about time I learned to mod BGII, if only to make a custom kit for Haruhi. A customized Monk, maybe?

That's all for now. I'll likely be back later.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: