And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

For The Empire!


I will confess to a strange, sadistic fascination with crushing Soviet and Allied forces alike using the Empire of the Rising Sun. I haven't had this much laughs and fun out of an RTS in a long, long while. I can't believe it took me this long to even acquire this game.

I've always been a moderate Red Alert fan. The series is like a sci-fi B-movie spliced with a mockumentary of World War II, with a healthy splash of the Cold War thrown in. The whole thing is so over-the-top and full of stereotypes and ridiculous concepts that I can't help but find it unspeakably enjoyable. Even if the Allies win every single time. Damn Allies.

The Allies are still the most effective overall. The Soviets are still undisputed masters of the ground and pound method of offense. And the new faction, the Empire of the Rising Sun? Well, they certainly need far more micromanagement than the other factions to be put to use effectively. However, once you've gotten the hang of that down, it is a relatively easy path to victory. Expensive, but easy.

The Allies are still the dullest, most unexciting of the factions. Even with every unit having some form of hard counter to it, they're still remarkably dull to use. It's too easy to win as them. Besides, I've never liked the Allies.

The Soviets are fun to play, and their best tactics are exactly the sort of thing I'd do when I'm in no mood to think of more complicated tactics. They're very effective with the right tactics, and ridiculously fun to play no matter what.

The Empire, though, is my clear favorite. There's something very satisfying about using them, particularly their more advanced units. I particularly favor using Rocket Angels with a force of Strikers or Tsunami Tanks as back-up. Great way to wipe out an entire base if done right.

Next step: acquire the expansion, largely for the Yuriko Omega campaign and the new units.

No comments: