And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

With Honors


Most often, I watch a movie and like it for a bit, then promptly forget about it. A lot of movies tend to be like this for me, no matter how much money they make in the box office or how highly the critics recommend it. There are, it would seem, a few movies that manage to stick in my mind, the ones that I'd not only watch, but obtain a permanent copy of in case I feel like watching it again. One such movie is With Honors.

It is, at the core, a simple movie about a college student and the homeless man who holds his thesis hostage. It is also a bit of an education on some of the facts of life that academic studies don't really mention. The movie has touches of comedy and touches of drama, and blends it all into a supple mix of a film. It is the kind of movie that you will remember because it has this resonance about it, something that strikes a chord in me.

This is a movie I'll count as one of the rare films I want to have close at hand, and can stand to re-watch without losing even the slightest bit of enjoyment. It is also oddly inspiring, and watching this and Find Forrester can often give me that little bit of mental push I need to keep at writing.

Now I leave with a quote from the movie, which itself is a quote of the great Walt Whitman:
"To drive free, to love free, to court destruction with taunts, to feed the remainder of life with one hour of fullness and freedom - one brief hour of madness and joy."

No comments: