And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Sunday, June 21, 2009

How Nostalgic

I've noticed something.

For several weeks now, I've been torrenting a lot of old TV shows and cartoons. Stuff I grew up with, stuff that probably had a hand in shaping my tastes and preferences in entertainment. I occasionally think I had a fairly typical childhood in most respects, but I firmly believe the sorts of things that I watched as a kid were far from typical.

Take, for example, Beverly Hills 90210. As weird as countless people seem to think it is, I grew up watching that show. I love that show, actually. It is one of those things that really helped me figure quite a few things out, not to mention served as a very strange sort of adviser in many areas.

Watching it again has brought back quite a few pleasant memories. Then again, I think anyone that re-watches something they grew up with would feel good about it. Interestingly, the show is still as interesting for me now as it was for me back then, despite some of the episodes falling a little flat in terms of their premise. Overall, it still is a very good show, and one that helps me sort out my thoughts on various matters.

Perhaps strangely, I think I can attribute a lot of my personality to the show. Every so often, I see a bit of my own personality being reflected in some of the characters. I can't quite tell if this is because I picked up those traits from the show, or if the show just does this coincidentally. I am oddly certain a lot of my views and perceptions on relationships -- and a lot of the advice I dole out when asked about such -- tends to not come from 90210, though I have yet to identify the source.

Then again, it isn't just the old 90210 that I'm looking into. I've found myself grabbing copies of the original seasons of Transformers, from before the animated movie (and certainly before the atrocity that is the Michael Bay version), G.I. Joe (in preparation for the coming movie, which looks to be awesome), and possibly even the animated Batman cartoon.

I'm slightly tempted to try and find a copy of the Adam West Batman TV show, but something tells me I'm better off not revisiting that part of my childhood.

I blame my Internet connection.

And my sanctimonious son of a bitch boss, who still holds to the non-sensical policy of keeping our USB ports non-functional. The dimwit.

No comments: