And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, June 29, 2009

He's Bad.

One might wonder why I am doing this. There are, for me, certainly far more notable recent deaths. Farah Fawcett, for one, since I grew up watching Charlie's Angels re-runs. One cannot deny I enjoyed David Carradine's role in the Kung Fu series (both of them), even if it seemed awkward to watch him play a master of Chinese martial arts. Then there's Ed McMahon, who served as the one celebrity I will always remember as one of the most thoroughly entertaining people I've ever seen. I am also late for an obituary, which this most certainly is not.

First, let me make one thing perfectly, crystal clear: I am not a Michael Jackson fan. I listen to a few of his songs, the ones that I personally enjoy, but I am by no means a fan. I enjoy songs regardless of artist, and the so-called King of Pop definitely had some good ones.

With that in mind, I do know how to give credit where credit is due, and it is certainly due here. Wacko Jacko managed, before turning his personal life and his sanity into a farce worthy of the finest comedians of all time, to make some very good songs. In many ways, he had a couple of good ones even after acting like a crazed lunatic.

Some have great messages, others have great beats, but out of all his music, I would have to say only one is my personal choice. I think that, for anyone that likes his brand of music, there is at least one song that resonates in them. The same holds true for me. One song of his does resonate with me more than the rest. Not because it has a deeper meaning, not because it has better quality composition, but simply because I enjoy the song more.

Bad

So here is a toast to all those entertainers who died as of late. To David Carradine. To Farah Fawcett. To Ed McMahon. And yes, to Michael Jackson. I may not be a devoted fan of any of you, but if nothing else, you have my respect for your accomplishments.

Requiem et Pace.

No comments: