And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

I've made a couple of decisions.

First, since Tuxy's allowing original fiction into his contest, I'm throwing my hat in. I know I won't win and even if I do, it won't do me much good but I think I should enter anyway. I'm afraid I've forgotten how to write WAFF (warm and fuzzy feelings for the unaware) and a contest is the best way (for me) to get back in that particular aspect of the game. Granted, he's right in saying it might become darkWAFF but it might not. Nothing ever goes according to plan for me and this contest isn't likely to become an exception to the rule.

Second, I've decided to decrease focus on XI for a bit. I actually want to focus on my contest entry for the time being and writing XI at the same time isn't good for that. I'll add bits and pieces to XI as I go along but don't expect me to focus on it as much as before. Still, the fact that only one "part" of the thing has been completed so far gives me some comfort. I am thinking of removing it completely from FictionPress, however, since I really should stop putting stuff up on the site. To be frank, I think I should take down all my written works there. The site is just too big and too open to be effective in its purpose. However, I think I'll only remove the ones I posted after I left the site, namely: XI and Akatsuki. deviantART gets to keep XI however, as I intend to update it there somewhat infrequently. I trust it more than FP. I'm also thinking of putting XI up on Tuxy's forums, for no good reason.


Other things:

I'm actually looking forward to Pacquiao-Morales III. I'm no sports fan but there are some things that, as a Filipino, you can't help but get swept into. There's Batista of the WWE, who's half-Filipino. There's the infamous Ateneo-La Salle rivalry that plays out every year in the UAAP (college basketball for the foreigners who are unaware). There's Django Bustamante and Efren 'Bata' Reyes, billiards champions who I've had the pleasure of meeting in person. And of course, the aformentioned Pacquaio-Morales III fight. To be honest, I didn't actually show much interest in the first fight but the second one made me want to see what all the hype was about. It was the moment Morales got knocked out that I got it.

Now that I'm off the Love Hina Fanboy War hook for good, I can finally completely, 100% turn my back on fanfiction. I won't deny I had a decent run but I won't go back to it. As far as I'm concerned, I can finally free myself of that constraint. Though I'm still intent on helping out Star Otaku with her fanfic, for as long as she wants me to. It has been a long, long time since she started that and, to be honest, I was interested in it then and I'm interested in it now.

Oh well, back to work.

No comments: