And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

In The Air...

'Tis the season...

Let it never be said that I have the Christmas spirit in me. I never have and chances are, I never will. I just never found the point in the whole "goodwill to all men" propaganda only during one time of year. Echoing the idea of countless others before me and countless others after me, why only be good to others during one season? Why not all the time? If we're going to be nasty for most of the year, why not make it all year? Just drop the whole Christmas season garbage altogether. It'll make things easier on us.

Anyway, let us move on to more important things...

XI is chugging along. I've dropped it as my contest entry in Tuxedo Jack's forums, though I've written/reconstructed an old Love Hina fanfic as replacement entry. While I can re-tool the events of XI to fit with the WAFF theme, it won't be the same story I set out to write. So the contest, rather than getting the second part of a seriously twisted little story, gets more Love Hina shoujo-ai fanfics from the man who was once known as the lord and master of Love Hina shoujo-ai fanfics.

That fic was actually an unusual little thing. The original idea was supposed to be 2 things: a shoujo-ai saga (much like my celebrated fanfic Black and White) and a musical. Yes, a musical. It woudl have used Eyes on Me from Final Fantasy VIII, Aria Di Mezzo Carattere from Final Fantasy VI, and even One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII. I also managed to work in a scene for All I Ask Of You, from The Phantom of The Opera. Hell, I even managed to work in The Game by Motorhead and Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns N' Roses in the mix. I also mixed in a few songs from the local music industry, like Side A's Tell Me and Beautiful Girl by Jose Mari Chan.

Yes, the old Kanako/Mutsumi piece would have been a grand spectacle...

If it had gotten off the ground.

Mind you, I have the outline somewhere, as well as the scenes that needed the songs but...well, let's just say, a few days after I finished the outline, I made the drastic decision to drop out of fanfiction for good. The 'for good' part is a little...sketchy, at best.

My other project is dead. It had a good run as a playground of ideas but, in the end, the races reminded me too much of Tolkien's Middle-Earth races in The Lord of The Rings, so I dropped the idea. Granted, none of the races I made are even remotely like any of the thousand and one breeds of Elf Tolkien made, but it didn't feel right. Writing fantasy just doesn't seem right anymore. Hell, reading and playing fantasy doesn't feel right anymore, save for the rare exceptions, like the Final Fantasy series' first six games (I refuse to acknowledge the remaining games as part of the series, for reasons I'll one day explain). However, it did give me enough of a creative boost to pick up on an older idea of mine, though how long that boost will last is debatable, at best.

Things in my life, socially speaking, are askew, as always. A couple of good friends (who are also a couple, from what I last heard) have moved from their old job to a new one, which is closer to my current location, though their shift schedule is drastically different from mine. I'm still managing to get into contact and engage in a few quick chats with my former Ambergris Solutions workmates, which sort of alleviates the fact that I don't really have as close a bond with my new workmates as I do my old ones. In particular, I can name a few names that I really wish I saw more often nowadays...

I miss Gara, Che, Mikkitik, Lei, Cy, TJ, Robert...I even miss our old trainer, Sarge Joma. Good times, good times.

Not to say that I don't get along with the people here at Intelligraph. I just haven't found enough common ground with them to feel close. A couple of them I share a common interest with, though nothing major. Oh well, at least I enjoy the work more than taking in calls for Dell. I also get to have more time to relax, engage in my hobbies, and just spend time with the warped thoughts in my head. I finally have the time to go through my box set DVD of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer, for example. Now, if only I could find my box set DVD of That '70s Show and Fate/Stay Night.

Ain't piracy grand?

I've also recently purchased the 4th original audio CD I've ever bought. The previous three, in order, were Hikaru Utada's First Love, Hikaru Utada's Exodus, and the Guilty Gear XX: LA Vocal Edition album. The fourth one is Grand Finale: Final Fantasy VI. The last one I bought almost solely for the vocals on Aria Di Mezzo Carattere. I'm considering getting eithr the Chrono Cross OST or the Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater OST next, if I can remind myself to do so when I get my next paycheck. Of course, that Fate/Stay Night OST looks mighty tempting...

Well, that's all for now. For the 2 people who are bored enough to actually read this, let me end by quoting Johnny Gomez of Celebrity Deathmatch fame:

"Good fight, good night."

No comments: