And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Audition

I like ultraviolence. I think blood, gore, and that sort of thing can be expressed artistically. I call it aesthetic brutality. The term may or may not be original. Now, if we're talking about this sort of stuff, Japan has the market practically cornered. However, most people will likely just cite Battle Royale as an example. Granted, Battle Royale is a magnificent film and one worthy of all the praise it has gotten. However, there are two films that, for me, are better examples of the principles and concepts that embody my idea of aesthetic brutality.

The first, In The Realm Of The Senses, is a rarity to find. If you can find a copy for it, original or otherwise, consider yourself a lucky, lucky person.

The second, however, is more recent, and has a trailer on YouTube. This one is called Audition.



I can only one day hope that my fiction can achieve the same levels of beauty and madness that the three films I mentioned above did. My hopes are particularly high for the re-make of Yuki's Diary, which I've decided to do. More on that later, folks.

No comments: