And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Monday, August 06, 2007

Your Move, Mate.

So, now that I've been working in my new office for roughly two weeks, what else have I seen?

Well, most of my initial impressions remain. The place still looks and feels better managed than, say, Intellicrap. The quota is significantly lower and the environment is rather friendly. However, I have noticed a hiccup or two in the structure. There appears to be a general lack of structure and direction, particularly outside the front lines. Basically, the main problem I've seen is that the web content department is relatively new and, so far, nobody seems to really have an idea how to handle the writers and their work. There's an idea of what they're there for, but the lack of experience in managing an entire department devoted solely to web content is apparent. I've dropped a few hints here and there on what worked for my previous job, but I'll have to wait and see for how things are going to work out. At one point or another, someone is going to have to arrive to get a proper, working hierarchy installed.

One more thing I've noticed is how annoying the call center agents can get. Since we're sharing PCs with call center agents, your private files aren't really private. Now, I can get by with downloading stuff, sending them to myself through e-mail, and then deleting the copies on the computer itself. However, the fact that I have to constantly reset my wallpaper each and every time I turn on my PC gets annoying. Plus, the agents seem to have no concept of shutting down a PC. Nor do they appear to have any sort of sense of cleanliness, as they tend to leave all sorts of junk scattered around the desk. Not to mention how haphazardly they leave their very expensive headsets.

I'm kind of disappointed that the USB ports on some of the PCs don't work. In particular, I'm disappointed that mine don't work. That'd certainly spare me a lot of trouble in getting files to and from the office. Not that those files are going to be work-related, but the convenience of not having to open my PC to download things I could have just plugged into a portable HD is something I miss.

However, for all the little things I don't like, I do think I'll enjoy working here. Better pay than Intelligraph Corporation, easier workload, and the environment actually feels rather similar to what my old job used to be. Considering the tyrannical nature of the management at my former place of employment...

Anyway, moving on then.

I've managed to get past Chapter 21 of Darkness & Stars at last. I've started work on Chapter 22, but I don't feel like updating the Tuxedo Jack Forums thread on it, or adding the new chapter as a download somewhere else. Maybe when I manage to work all the way to Chapter 25. I've already got another project in line that I intend to start as soon as I'm done with Chapter 22. I don't expect to write for it often, but it does represent a little experiment for me.

I think that the time has come for someone to put a darker spin to the mahou shoujo sub-genre...

No comments: