And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pointless Rambling

Before we go on, I'd like to point out that I consider this little thing to be a small, but significant, tactical victory in one of the many battles I fight.

Anyway, let's move on.

I've recently come upon the decision to dual-boot my trust old laptop, Sakura, with WinXP (the day I change to that disaster area Microsoft dares call an operating system is the day I believe in religion) and Ubuntu. I highly doubt I'll ever get rid of XP for a number of reasons.

1. Linux software is near-impossible to come by in this country, and while I like OpenOffice more than MS Word, Documents to Go (software on my Palm) synchronizes better with Word. Besides that, I'm more comfortable with Photoshop's interface and style than GiMP's.

2. While it runs, Infinity Engine-based games like Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn don't run quite so well on WINE. In fact, most games I play don't run quite well on WINE.

3. Bluetooth support is, so far, limited for Ubuntu. That means I'll have to keep WinXP around, as my phone's data cable has proven rather unreliable.

Besides that, I'm still working on my fiction projects. No change there.

Also, I took a test. Here are the results.

You scored as Nihilism, Your life is marked by strong Nihilism: You feel that nothing in the world, even your life, has much or any meaning.



"For out of fear and need each religion is born, creeping into existence on the byways of reason."

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

“Every belief, every considering something-true, is necessarily false because there is simply no true world”

--Friedrich Nietzsche



More info at Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...

Nihilism

95%

Strong Egoism

90%

Existentialism

85%

Justice (Fairness)

80%

Hedonism

80%

Kantianism

65%

Utilitarianism

60%

Apathy

40%

Divine Command

0%

What philosophy do you follow? (v1.03)
created with QuizFarm.com


And, finally, some useful links for the writer in all of us:
How to write with style By Kurt Vonnegut
How to Build a High-Traffic Web Site (or Blog) by Steve Pavlina
Top 10 Tips for Overcoming Writer's Block by Ginny Wiehardt

No comments: