And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Smell Disaster On The Horizon



I smell disaster on the horizon for School Days.

Someone. Is. Going. To. Die.

I have the strangest feeling that this show is going to follow the "Conclusion of Blood" ending, though the "Eternity" ending is just as likely at this point. I suppose later episodes will help lend more clues as to whether Kotonoha dies or Sekai does, but at this point, I don't particularly care. Despite my misgivings early on about the show, I have to admit that School Days is actually a decent adaptation of the original material.

However, to better understand what I'm rambling on about, we'll need to summarize the show a bit.

Let's start off with the basic facts. Makoto likes Kotonoha, but only because she's very physically attractive. He also exhibits stalker-like tendencies. Sekai, in an attempt to be the helpful friend, gives him advice on how to get Kotonoha to notice him. She also goes on recon to get a bit of information on Kotonoha. Kotonoha, for her part, actually likes Makoto and considers Sekai to be her friend. She also admits that she found Makoto's stalker-like behavior prior to actually talking to her to be rather attractive.

However...there are problems. Makoto, being the impulsive piece of trash that he is, experiences difficulty in adjusting to how sensitive Kotonoha is. She's very closed off and seems almost afraid of sexual contact, which frustrates Makoto, as all he really wants from her is sex, sex, and more sex. Being the idiot that he is, Makoto fails to realize that and ends up being "trained" by Sekai on how to properly approach Kotonoha for sex. However, things go a little too far and the two end up in bed. Repeat this cycle for an extended period, until fate conspires to put Kotonoha back into Makoto's mind in the form of a rain shower and a drenched cardigan. Kotonoha eventually finds out and confronts Sekai as the latter is leaving Makoto's apartment.

Now, throw in the fact that Otome, one of Kotonoha's classmates, also makes the stupid mistake of liking Makoto, and you've got some trouble. Particularly because Otome is quite adamant and adept at using her friends to bully Kotonoha and discourage her. Throw in Setsuna, who is heading for France, and you've got another angle to this. Particularly after a long day at the school, where Kotonoha catches Setsuna kissing a sleeping Makoto. Things escalate the following day, when one of Makoto's friends reveals that to Kotonoha that she has been betrayed. Meanwhile, Otome is getting what she wants and is having sex with Makoto, which effectively is a betrayal of both Kotonoha and Sekai. To top it all off, the end of episode 9 (the current episode) hints that Makoto's friend, Taisuke, may or may not have forced himself on Kotonoha.

So, where does this all lead us? Disaster!

I swear, somebody is going to die by the end of this. I'd be severely, severely disappointed if that doesn't happen, as all the events so far seem to be leading to that. Although I'd be perfectly content with an ending where Makoto dies, even if it leaves Kotonoha incurably insane and Sekai scarred for life. At the very least, that idiot will get what's coming to him.

For now, I just have to remind myself that there are only three episodes to go.

No comments: