And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
The thousandth knife found my liver;
The thousandth enemy said to me,
'Now you shall die,
Now none shall know.'
And the fool, looking down, believed this,
Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
Each one remembering.
--John M. Ford, The Final Reflection

The Asylum Director

My photo
"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." - Russel Baker

Friday, August 17, 2007

I Can't Believe I Forgot This!

I'm a fan of music from the old school. I'm talking Beethoven, Mozart, and Wagner. I'm also talking about more recent "old school" music. In particular, two singers have influenced me in ways that I can only begin to grasp. Frank Sinatra is one of them, with each of his songs resonating in my head and all of the lead characters in that story (in my own mind, if not explicitly mentioned in the narrative) adore "My Way." As for the other, it was Elvis Presley. And I can't believe I forgot that August 16th was the 30th Anniversary of The King's untimely demise.

I'm not good enough to write a proper tribute to The King, but here are a few things that I can only wish I said first:

Prominent Musicians Talk About Elvis

As for me, all I can say is this: "If I end up being called the 'Elvis of the literary world' at some point, I can die happy."

To end this, here's a video of "Jail House Rock," my favorite Elvis song.

No comments: